Since the introduction of the iPhone and iPad, more and more IT departments not only have been requested to accommodate iOS devices in the corporate or enterprise IT infrastructure, but find themselves being asked to deploy and setup these devices for users.
Many of the best sources and guides for information on how to deploy iOS across the Enterprise comes from Apple. Consult these resources:
- Overview of iOS 4.2 Enterprise Features for iPad.
- iOS 4 Enterprise Deployment Resources.
- iPhone OS Enterprise Deployment Guide Second Edition, for Version 3.2 or later (PDF).
- iPhone Enterprise deployment.
- The App Store Volume Purchasing for Business program.
Other non-Apple based tools include:
- MobileIron offers IOS Management tools. App inventory capabilities, detection of jailbroken phones, and enforcement of IT polices are a few of its many features.
- Good For Enterprise allows additional features such as deploying apps without iTunes, selective wipes of corporate data without touching user data and tools for managing Android Mobile devices. Find out more here.
- Sybase Afaria offers a rich set of tools to manage corporate data on mobile devices, install apps without iTunes, among other great features.
- McAfee also offers Enterprise Mobility Management tools for the iPhone and iPad.
Sources: Some information on non-Apple tools gleaned from this great Infoworld piece.
Disclaimer: I am not associated or employed by any company producing software reviewed on this site.